Sunday, June 22, 2008

Apple Slim Aluminum Wired Keyboard - No Joy

I bought myself one of those slim aluminum Apple keyboards. I don't know if you have seen them, but they are exquisite. The keys are spaced apart from one another to prevent gunk getting under them. The tactile sensation is incredible. The keys are quiet, and the keyboard itself is beautiful.

However, Hardy Heron doesn't like the Apple keyboard.

First, when I plugged it into a USB port on my monitor, the PC would not boot. Grub launched, I saw the word "Starting..." and then it just froze there for 10 minutes. I plugged the old keyboard back in, and it started right up.

I tried plugging the keyboard into the back of the PC instead of onto a peripheral. The same thing happened. Ubuntu did not want to start up with that keyboard plugged in. WTF? Other people had purchased the keyboard and it worked fine for them.

Finally, I booted up, unplugged my windows keyboard, and plugged it in. It only typed numbers from certain keys. After much research, I discovered that Hardy Heron had a "fix" put out for MAC computers that were running Ubuntu to make the keyboards work properly. However, it made all Apple keyboards work like laptop keyboards.

There is no num-lock key, and the CLEAR key was being used as one. Pressing F6 twice undid the permanent numlock and allowed me to type. When I rebooted, my PC would not start.

I assumed it was a problem with my BIOS, so I tried flashing it. But I couldn't figure out how to create a boot floppy in Linux. Apparently, you just can't. I found an old floppy, and I put it in the drive. I went to properties to format it, but there was no option to do so. After more web research, I found a program already on my Ubuntu installation called gfloppy that will format a floppy.

I typed gfloppy at the terminal, and nothing happened. I typed sudo gfloppy, and finally, there was a formatting program. However, it had no option to make the floppy bootable. Sometimes, Linux is so awesome I cannot imagine going back. But sometimes it is like owning a boat and finding out that a major part is missing - like a steering wheel. Something that you will obviously need.

After even more research, I found out how to create a bootable CD to put my BIOS files on.

After creating a bootable CD, I rebooted, set up the CD to be the first boot device, rebooted again, and then the CD booted up. Surprise! It threw an error at me. Wrong hardware. I rebooted, downloaded the bios update again, and tried it again with another CD. Same error! I was sure it was right. I did more research. I found that the switch /Py on the command line would over-ride the hardware version compare function in AWDFLASH.EXE (the program that updates my ABit BIOS.

I ran AWDFLASH.EXE again and typed in the filename. This time it said, "Invalid op code!" I rebooted, tried it again, and this time at the command prompt I typed, "AWDFLASH.EXE M9269_16.bin". This time it worked, and it flashed the bios.

I rebooted, and everything worked. I noticed zero improvements from the old BIOS. I rebooted, and stuck the keyboard USB pin into the back of my PC.

It would not start!

I gave up. The keyboard is now back in the hands of Fry's Electronics, and I now have a WD Passport 250GB portable hard drive instead.

Since this experience, I have read even more about Apple Keyboards that make me glad it didn't work out:

  • You have to hold down the Fn button for the F keys to function
  • There is no insert key
  • There is no print screen key (goodbye screen shots)
  • The numpad does not work
  • If you touch the numpad, num-lock engages and the rest of the keyboard won't work until you type F6 twice quickly.
  • There is no num-lock key to engage or disengage num-lock
  • Alt and the Command key (windows key/apply key) are reversed, leading to touch-typing chaos
  • The cord on the keyboard was too short to sit on my desk and reach the back of my PC underneath.
So, all's well that ends well. Here's hoping that a knock-off keyboard just like it will be released in the coming months.

Question: Why doesn't Apple make peripherals that will work with PCs? It seems that this would not hurt revenue - only help, and would spread their reputation around even faster. It's because they use a closed business model that is all about locking the customer in and locking all non-customers out.

I had been saving up for a cool Apple Macbook Pro. I am no longer. Searching for info on Apple keyboards led me to site after site with complaining Apple experts lamenting the shortcomings of owning an Apple computer - even one of the brand new ones. I've lost interest. I will keep fighting with Ubuntu for now.

Would some non-dumbass in Ubuntu world please make an app that formats floppies and CD's as bootable so we can update our BIOS?

No comments: